TGIF! Somehow this week flew by way too fast, and I am now only one week away from finishing my first semester of college classes! Finals are coming up, and everyone on campus is really stressed. During this season, it’s easy to let go of self care and only focus on studying. Don’t get me wrong, studying and school are super important, but you can’t put your best foot forward if you’re not taking care of your needs first.
One of my favorite ways to stay focused and motivated during stressful seasons is eating lots of vitamins and minerals! While we naturally tend toward comfort foods when we’re stressed, that is actually making the situation worse! Continuing to eat healthy during finals will make you feel energetic and focused, so you can make the most of those hours of studying.
Here is a super easy recipe that is cheap, super quick, and can get you through those long study sessions.
Easy-Peasy Roasted Kale
Serves 2-3 (or 1 really hungry veggie-lover)
- 1 bunch of kale, ribs removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- avocado oil (olive or coconut oil would work too)
- nutritional yeast*
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper
- Spread kale out in an even layer on the sheet
- Drizzle kale with oil, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Sprinkle a generous amount of nutritional yeast on the kale and toss to combine everything, massaging the kale with your hands (this makes it more tender)
- Put the kale in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the edges are slightly crispy
- Remove from oven and dig in!
For those of you unfamiliar with nutritional yeast, it is an inactive form of yeast that is sold as a food product. It has a cheesy, nutty flavor, and is used as a replacement for cheese in many dairy-free/vegan recipes. If you don’t have any or don’t want to buy any, you can leave it out, but in my opinion it is what makes this dish amazing. I would recommend investing in some “nooch” and sprinkling it on veggies, eggs, rice, pretty much anything.